31 Jul 2012

Five lessons learnt at my Mother's

Last week the Sun came back from his holiday from behind the clouds so I took my turn and spent a week at my Mother's house.

Here are five things that I learnt last week.

1. I missed the doing the housework

If you're a regular reader you'll be familiar with my loathing of housework. Conversations in our house often go a little like this:

Me: "We should definitely get a cleaner."
Boy: "You're home all day, why can't you do it."

Me: "I could spend more quality time with Lady F. That's what I became a SAHM for, not to do the meaningless housework that anyone could do."
Boy: "It would cost too much."

Me: "It's quite cheap and our place is small enough for it not to take too long." 
Boy: Exasperated look.
Me (desperately): "Besides, we would be giving someone a job that would need it. Think of the boost to the local economy!"

Boy: "It can't take that long for you to do!"
Me (grasping at straws): "I didn't spend 7 years studying to be a cleaner!"

So, it came as a shock to me that whilst I didn't have to do any of the cleaning at my mum's I found myself loading the dishwasher amongst other tasks. It felt strange not to be doing so. It's clearly become a part of my routine now, like the old men that still wear ties, 25 years after retirement.

Don't tell the Boy! I'm trying my best to let the dust pile up so he doesn't find out my 'clean' little secret.

2. Am I the only one that becomes a teenager again when they visit their parents?

I kept feeling as though my mother should be the one looking after Lady F. I have a child? She's my daughter? I'm not old enough, surely? I thought I got over this pinching oneself stage when Lady F was a couple of weeks old.

I'm convinced that had I stayed any longer than a week I'd have found myself listening to Take That, asking my mum for a lift to the phone box.

3. Super expensive mattresses are a waste of money

Lady F is a terrible sleeper. Always has been, to the point where I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a super comfortable mattress, hoping this would fix the problem. It didn't..

Miraculously, she slept the best that she's slept in a long time. In her terribly uncomfortable travel cot.

4. A taste of the future

As we were waving goodbye to my mum I suddenly had a vision of the future. One day Lady F will be waving goodbye to me. 

Then, I felt terribly guilty about not calling my mum enough and consequently spent the rest of the weekend on the phone. I think she was fed up of me by Sunday.

5. I'm turning into my Mother

The inevitable has happened. The thing we all swear would never happen, as moody teenagers, but it has. I'm my Mother. 

You know what though, it's not all that bad. She's a pretty fantastic mother and grandmother.

How do you enjoy your time at your parents? Do you come back relaxed or needing another holiday?

Photo credit: www.travelprize.com

No comments:

Post a Comment