11 Jul 2012

Blogging plagiarism and the Olympic Torch

I thought plagiarism was the domain of spotty teenagers that can't be bothered to do their homework. However, it seems the mummy blogging world is armed with the same sword. My blog has fallen, a victim of the word warrior.


I recently started following a mummy blogger who posts a lot. I'm talking a couple of times a day. At first I was envious of her ability to come up with so many new ideas AND have the time to write them with a wee one running around her house. Whilst casually browsing her blog one day I received my answer. I happened to notice that she had submitted a post that was almost word for word the same as a post of mine.


Now, I'm a new blogger, so maybe very naive. Perhaps it's quite common to 'borrow' an idea?  


I could name the blogger and doom her to virtual shame (not likely though, i'm not that popular). Or, mainly because i'm a coward but also because I actually really enjoy reading her blog, I could chose not to and be flattered instead. I'm chosing option two. What would you do?


The reason? Well, Lady F copies everything I do at the moment. She wants to eat with my spoon, brush her teeth with my toothbrush and her hair with my hairbrush. It easily follows therefore that how we respond to certain situations, as parents, affects the way our children will learn how to respond. OK, I know she doesn't have a clue about the blogging world but I have to start as I mean to go on.


Later on in the day I wasn't that shining example, though


We went to see the Olympic Torch pass through my local town. It was a fantastic atmosphere and the sun was shining. We were happily stood a few people away from the barrier when a very tall man asked me if I would like to come through to his place because he could see over my shortness very easily. We shuffled forwards, thanking the tall man. Then, we encountered a grumpy man. He had a child on his shoulders and proceeded to state loudly to his son "we've been here for two hours haven't we, only for annoying people to think it's ok to push in".


This is how the conversation proceeded:


Me (trying to stay calm and be a good example to Lady F): "The man behind let us through."


Grumpy man: "Snort"


Me: "Would you like this spot?"


Grumpy man: Ignored me


Me (losing my cool and stomping away): "You have completely ruined our day, you grumpy man!"


I then overheard him getting a good old telling off from his wife as I was wishing I'd no lost my cool and been a better example to Lady F.


Then we eventually made it back to the train station where there was a group of mums standing in a huddle enjoying a good ol' giggle. Good for them, I thought. Every mum needs that. Unfortunately, it was at the expense of their children. The kids saw this and took the opportunity to practice their best monkey impressions, swinging from the station signs dangerously close to the tracks.


A train station manager eventually came and reprimanded them and explained the dangers of carrying on. Ok, so she said it with a patronising tone but to my utter amazement the mothers started arguing with her. Telling her to mind her own business when she only had the safety of their children in mind. The monkeys children stood on watching and laughing.


That is how they have learnt to respond.


So, thieving mummy from that great mummy blog that I like to read. You can thank the grumpy man and angry parents that I encountered today. For the sake of being a good example to Lady F, you're off the hook. 


Photo credit: sodahead.com

8 comments:

  1. What a fab post! I love the honesty! I would be like you, simply not brave enough! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know i'm not the only one then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble is if your a new blogger and don't have a huge following, not many people will see the naming and shaming, but if she has a large following then she has more power. . . . .for now. Give it a year and you never know!!

    Love your blog, it looks like you have been blogging about the same time as me

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, true. It hasn't been long but I am getting to be a little bit addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. honey if someone is swiping your stuff I would honestly ask them to take it down - copyright laws and all! - email me if you want to ask anything x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks...as stupid as this may sound, I hadn't actually thought of that, doh. I'll blame it on mummy brain!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there just found you're blog from britmums! Great post but a shame you've encounted someone in the blogging world being underhanded... I would have a quiet word with the blogger like Jane suggests. But that aside welcome to blogging and hope you continue to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete