13 Jul 2012

The smell of pregnancy

Have you ever time travelled? 

I'm not talking about Doctor Who or Back to the Future. No. I'm referring to the time travel that your senses take you on.

The kind where you hear a song on the radio or in a store that immediately transports you to another time in your life. A time you thought you had forgotten until that song plays and the memory is so vivid. The world around you disappears and you're 18 again rocking out to a band in a park. Or maybe you're with a first love or a good friend. 


You either want to turn the music off immediately or find the nearest laptop so you can replay it over and over again, full volume, on youtube. This time without the muffled calls of "turn it down".

The problem with a smell is you cannot turn it off.


I was incredibly sick during my pregnancy. Morning, noon and night. The toilet bowl and I became great pals. Smell was the biggest evil.

At the time I was living in a large block of flats, which was a melting pot of aromas. They would seep into our flat through the open windows and air vents. The windows stayed tightly closed. I even stuffed tissue into the vents.


The worst offender was the lady in the opposite flat. She would make a smelly curry based dish every night. The smell would slowly seep through. It made me so sick. My tactic was to spray as much of a can of Febreeze that I could, into the corridor, whilst holding my nose before legging it back into my flat to gasp for air.

Last week I time travelled.


I came home to the Boy, cleaning. He had found a can of Febreeze. One sniff and I was pregnant again, standing in my old corridor and ready to vomit. Despite wanting to gag I was also filled with a rush of happy contentment at the memory of the little life growing inside of me. Aside from the sickness, which eventually passed, I LOVED being pregnant.

What a great reminder.

How was your pregnancy? 


Photo credit: www.stockphoto.com


10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I couldn't stomach the smell of cat food, not great as we had two cats! Even thinking about it now is making me feel sick! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, cat food is a smelly offender. Don't know how you coped having to open a can every day!

      Delete
  2. I totally get this!!! I only now can tolerate the crock pot again which makes my life so much easier but before I could NOT stand that smell of food in the pot all day - and i'm 8 months now! With my first it was perfumey fragrances that disturbed me! You mentioning Febreeze kind of gave me a pause just based on the memory of it not being a good one! haha!

    And Doctor Who reference = WIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! The OH is a big fan. Now you mention the crock pot I do have vague memories of that too!

      Delete
  3. Being pregnant is a very special thing indeed but it really did not suit me. Welcome to reasons to be Cheerful. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL very funny post. Certainly makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It also made me laugh, my first two pregnancies were fine, but my third was torture....I love KFC and the smell knocked me sick and also I was fine at the beginning of the pregnancy but it gave me awful hearburn and so did Chicken from the supermarket. So everytime the fiance and kids wanted a KFC I ended up ordering a large popcorn chicken meal, and buying an extra portion of chips...So they would all be with their chicken and chips and there would be me and bump with a large portion of chips and pepsi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks. I hope you've made up for it since. Funnily enough, now you've mentioned that I do recall having a craving for KFC when pregnant (and i'm craving it right now too!)

      Delete