1 Aug 2012

Dear Mothers,

I didn't want to be the one to do this, but you see, it has to be said. We have to be told. It's becoming quite the problem and mothers all over the world are suffering unnecessarily. So, here goes.

We need to take a stand against burnt toast.

Why is it that when you have two pieces of toast, one is burnt, the other is perfect, your child is offered the perfect one and you resign yourself to the burnt piece? It's not a mutually exclusive relationship. Do yourself a favour and make yourself another piece. Go on, you deserve it. Don't resign yourself to the scraped burnt toast.

Now, onto another matter. Shopping.

When you go shopping, you eye that beautiful and reasonably priced dress in the window. Heck, you even imagine yourself in it. Consider how you might even feel beautiful. To top it off you can afford this little splurge. Why is it that you keep on walking, into the kids aisle and come home with a bag full of purchases for your already well clobbered child? Do yourself a favour and this once, buy yourself the dress. Go on, you deserve it. Don't resign yourself to thinking the kids need it more.


Now I'm on a roll. Chocolate.


Don't feel guilty about eating that extra piece of chocolate. I know you said you'd stop at one, maybe two pieces and you've already had five but don't worry about it. Give yourself a break. Consider that if you've got to bedtime and the children have been fed, watered and entertained all day long then you've worked hard enough for it. Do yourself a favour and eat that last piece. Savour it in your mouth and enjoy it, guilt free. Go on, you deserve it. Don't resign yourself to unnecessary guilt.


So go on, take my advice and enjoy yourself a little more.

Go on, you're a mother. You deserve it.

Yours Sincerely,

One mother to another

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for commenting at my blog (The Mad House). For me it is all about buying good quality tea. I am worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never make the toast until I have ensured that I have suitably stuffed my son with porridge first. That way I usually get both bits.

    My weakness is a good coffee shop. I justify it to myself after a hard morning at the swings/ park. If I buy my son a cake he's happy too - and I sit and savour the creamy goodness of a latte and revive myself. I reckon I deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gr8 post. Your right i haven't been shopping properly for years. My weakness is a good coffee shop too. But i justify it because i don't go out at night any more and that is now my social life.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Funny how coffee shops become the new mother hang out.

      Delete
  4. I suddenly feel much better about the chocolate I ate quietly in the kitchen under the pretence I was cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guilty of this sort of mother martyrdom . Must stop it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur. Ear lots of chocolate to celebrate your decision :)

      Delete
  6. I still dont understand why they make toasters that burn toast! If I try setting 2 on mine it doesnt cook, but setting 3 burns, so god help me if I put it on setting 6 it would burn the whole house down!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, how frustrating. Give me the good old days of a grill and toast pan!

      Delete