25 Jun 2012

The daily workout

As I encounter the plethora of buggy fit adverts and advocates, i'm left feeling lazy about my lack of exercise.

An incentive came in the form of a wardrobe clear out. I discovered some lovely pre-pregnancy clothes that I wish I could fit into again, without the risk of ripping them at the seams. Then there was Lady F's hint. She discovered my belly button. When she tried to pincer grasp it, it wobbled. She laughed hysterically. Thank you for your support!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not afraid of exercise, i used to be quite fit in my pre-pregnancy days. I sometimes wish I had the inclination to join all of these, as I imagine them to be, Claudia Schiffer style mothers, star jumping in a muddy field. In fact, when people ask me what sports i'm involved in, running feels like a fair answer. "Yes, i've run competitively a few times" is my response. Even though it was s 5k 2 years ago and it was the last time my feet and running trainers met, but I don't need to elaborate.

Exercising on top of the complete lack of sleep, breastfeeding and being an all round professional stay at home mother, is too much of a disincentive.

One evening the boy and I had a 'let's see how fit we are challenge'. We took it in turns to pant like 80 year old women, red faced and sweaty through star jumps, sit ups and stomach crunches. The next day (and week) the boy complained about how sore his muscles were. I, on the other hand, had forgotten all about our workout session. Then it hit me. I already have a daily personal fitness plan. My instructor is Lady F and my gym is our home. This is how if looks:

Weight lifting: 10 times an hour, for varying durations, from 6:30am until 6:30pm. Weights range from minimal (toys) to 19lbs ( my instructor, who is experiencing separation anxiety). This exercise can be increased in intensity by weightlifting multiple weights or adding other activities such as cooking, brushing teeth, dancing, getting dressed, getting in and out of the car etc, etc at the same time, respectively.

Treadmill: Pacing to light jog whilst carrying 19lbs at various speeds for approx 15 minute intervals at 9am and 1pm i.e nap times. Personal sound track includes tired whinging noises. Increase the intensity by performing it ad hoc in the middle of the night.

Rowing (arms only): As necessary. Wiping work surfaces, hoovering, brushing up, dishes, dusting, making beds etc etc. Increase the intensity by inviting friends and family round.

Zumba: As and when required to keep the entertainment level high for the little one. Increase the intensity by performing it in different positions and levels in different voices whilst pulling faces.

Squats: 10 times an hour, hourly from 6:30am until 10pm. Increase the intensity by picking things up on your way down i.e socks, cups, bits of food, toys etc etc.

So, there's no need to feel bad about not attending a scheduled exercise class. My daily work out is still happening. I just didn't realize it until now.


Photo credit: http://chrisga262.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/in-defense-of-exercise.html

No comments:

Post a Comment